Monday, December 13, 2010
For tourists in Bali it is probably easier to find Japanese, Continental or even Mexican food rather than the indigenous island cooking and what a shame to have come so far and not try the local fare.
SOME INDONESIAN SPECIALITIES
- Ayam Goreng / Bakar : fried / Roasted Chicken
- Cap Cay ( Pronounced Chap Chai ) - Stir - fried vegetables
- Mie goreng - as above, but using noodles instead of rice
- Nasi goreng - fried rice with an assortment of ingredients such as ; chicken, vegetables , pork , beef. Usually served with parwn crackers and a fried egg.
- Sate - beef or chicken kebabs served with a peanut and sweet soy sauce
- Rujak - A spicy , sweet fruit salad, served cold.
SPECIALITIES OF THE BALINESE CUISINE
- Ayam Pelalah - Shredded Chicken in chilli and lime
- Babi Guling - Suckling pig roasted on a spit, stuffed with herb, spices, chillies and rice.
- Bebek Betutu - Duck smoked in an earthenware oven
- Kambing Mekuah - Braised lamb and coconut milk
- Lawar - made of thinly chopped papaya, jackfruit, green beans, grated coconut, starfruit leaves and various indigenous spices. This dish is served with a variety of meats, such as pork or duck.
- Pesan Be Pasih - fish grilled in banana leaf
- Sambal be Tongkol - Tuna salad
- Satay Lilit - Mince seafood satay ( small kebabs )
- Bubur Injin - Coconut rice - Pudding with fruit